MY TOP 10 LESSONS FROM 2019
- Self-doubt has a short memory. We often question our own capabilities. Who does not have those moments? When in doubt, we need to look where we have come from. Wherever we may be at this time, it must have been a very long way to where we stand now. Not sure? Think again of everything you have been through, how you handled it and what it taught you.
- Priorities are dependent on circumstances. Priorities can and will change, depending on context and various situations. When we are open to this fact, we become more flexible to the change around us and subsequently, we are able to reallocate our efforts.
- Discipline is the secret recipe. Managing tasks and goals is not always convenient, interesting and joyful, like eating habits, lifestyle commitments and business objectives. We are impressed by those who achieve something and we expect to hear of a secret recipe. However it is about discipline, how bad we want something and what it means to us.
- ‘Me’ time is belittled. We often underestimate our wellbeing and barely take time for ourselves, until we collapse. We forget to enjoy moments and small things, which have a greater impact on our health and mood. When we regularly take care of our mind and body, we are able to manage ongoing challenges.
- Resilience is built in flexibility. Bouncing back will not happen to us once. When we frequently go through it, we are prone to calmly face the storms and break more limits, every time. Flexibility is an art and we ought to practice it, because no one and no situation is ever going to remain the same.
- Helping others is much more than kindness. We should never forget our humanity. We don’t live to exclusively look after our own needs; we also have an obligation towards others around us, family, friends and strangers, who all live in the same community. Accepting, including and helping people says a lot about what we stand for, as individuals and businesses.
- Passion drives change. Passion is what keeps me going, no matter the challenges ahead or around. We need to realise that in this word, passion, lays the solution to many problems, in life and society. Imagine how much can be accomplished, when a group of passionate people get together around a specific vision.
- I am not a final product. None of us is. It is good to reflect, understand our triggers, how we act and behave, what we can do better next time. Unlearning and relearning are part of our personal growth. None of us is a final product of ourselves and we have so much room for a better version, if we want to embrace it. The process of self-analysis can be very interesting.
- Gratitude, in all circumstances. Always. For everything, the good and the bad. There are amazing memories that remain, if not, wonderful lessons of growth. With this perception in mind, we can gradually master challenges management.
- Change has already happened. We find it difficult to alter our habits and rock our comfort zone. The word itself, change, makes us uncomfortable and we get defensive sometimes. However, change has already happened, throughout this year which ends today, sometimes without our full realization. The lessons are the change.
Here is to a new year filled with joyful experiences!
© Muriel Matta 2019
Muriel Matta (BSc, MSc, MPhil, Cert CTT Practitioner) is an HR Advisor, Coach, Trainer and Facilitator.
She is a multilingual Human Resources Management expert, with extensive cross-cultural experience.
In line with her Vision, she launched Maravilhosa in 2014 to help organizations build high-performing teams.
For more information: Profile
Muriel can be contacted via email: Muriel@maravilhosa.net